Australian draft plan aims to reduce marine debris
The Australien Government has issued a draft threat abatement plan with strategies to reduce marine debris.
The draft contains six major objectives. It aims to:
• Contribute to the long-term prevention of the incidence of marine debris.
• Identify key species, ecological communities, ecosystems and locations impacted by marine debris for priority action.
• Conduct research to understand and mitigate the impacts of microplastic and plastic debris on marine species and ecological communities.
• Remove existing marine debris.
• Monitor the quantities, origins, types and hazardous chemical contaminants of marine debris, and assess the effectiveness of management arrangements over time for reducing marine debris.
• Increase public understanding of the causes and impacts of harmful marine debris, including microplastic and hazardous chemical contaminants, to generate behaviour change.
Source : by Kate Tilley, PlasticsNews